Saturday, November 15, 2008

End Of Days......

it's 1999..... the much hyped about 'end of the millennium' was finally here!!!....
everyone's talking about the end of the world.... how weird!!!....
is the world just gonna melt down???.... or blow up or something???.... how stupid can these people get???....
if in case the Guy above actually decided to blow up the earth, then at which time zone's midnight would he choose to do it???.... hmmmm.... perhaps America's!!!!.... or maybe Dubai!!!!.... people think the universe goes around these two places!!!!....
i start the engine of my car and start driving towards the amphitheatre where my show was due in a few hours...
at 42, i'd not done much in life, of which i could really be proud.... a business that managed to barely last for a meagre three years, a consequent failed marriage.... i'd lost a lot in life.... all i have now with me were my three good friends from college days... they're also more or less in the same life situation as mine....
three years back, we managed to form a rock band... we did pretty well in the beginning... preforming at local gigs, we even managed to release an album.... but then, all that didn't last for long.... after all, in this age of discos and punk rock, who'd even bother to listen to a bunch of oldies doing something so not their age!!!....
as these thoughts ran through my mind, i finally reached the arena... the show was to start in two hours, at two hours to midnight....
since we were putting up a free show, the turnout was good... the arena was almost full....
Sid, Mike and Pete were already there....
at sharp 10, we started the show... it went pretty well....
at 5mins to midnite, we started playing our fav number....
by the last minute, the countdown for the new millennium began...
5.... 4.... 3.... 2.... and then.... something real strange happened... people started collapsing one by one....
the numbers were increasing rapidly.... i looked at my friends.... even they're down.... it's almost like as if a poisonous gas had engulfed the entire area... my arms were getting numb.... my brain's freezing.... i couldn't move... even i dropped to the ground....
no wait a minute.... i wasn't dropping like the others.... i still have energy in me.... i ran over to check on my friends.... no pulse... all of them dead.... i couldn't stand the horror..... i ran to my car and started fer home.... as i drove through the streets, i noticed more and more dead bodies....
there's not a single living soul on the streets... there's no one left alive except for me!!!!..
'Why me Lord????.... take me too!!!.... i wanna friggin' die!!!!'.....
i ran home and switched on the television.... all blank.... there's no sign of life anywhere.... my head started spinning.... i ran to my room and took a shot of cocaine... i started sweating heavily....
i walked over to my gun cabinet and took out my gun.... BANG!!!.... i blew a bullet into my brains....
finally!!!!.... i collapsed onto the floor.... i lay there with my eyes open... i lay for sometime....
i could still see around my room.... how long was i gonna take to die????....
i put my hand to my head where i'd shot myself.... unbelievable!!!!.... my head was intact and there was not a sign of even a small drop of blood.... i picked up the gun and shot myself again.... twice at the chest and once at my stomach.... the result was still the same.... there was not even a sign of a single bullet wound.... i threw the gun in despair....
i didn't know what to do.... i was not only the last person on the earth, i was also immortal!!!!....
i knelt down, put my hands to my face and wept like a cannibal................

No comments: